Do you want to start a podcast but aren’t certain that it is a good decision?
What is a podcast?
I suppose that’s important to answer before telling you why you should start one. By definition, a podcast is “a digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or mobile device, typically available as a series, new installments of which can be received by subscribers automatically.” Okay, now what does the word “podcast” mean to me? A podcast is basically a blog post in an audio format. It’s a platform for anyone to talk about anything they want. Are you interested in giving business advice? Helping new entrepreneurs grow? What about sharing your expertise on what to look for when looking for a house to buy? Do you want to relive your days playing video games like Super Mario, or maybe you never stopped? There are podcasts about every topic, and the opportunity to getting started is open to anyone with a passion.
Here are my 5 reasons why you should start a podcast:
1. Podcasts are on the rise. Year after year, the number of Americans who listen to podcasts is growing. In 2015, 17% of Americans listened to at least one podcast a month, and in 2016, that number rose to 21%. Let’s put that into perspective; there are 68 million Americans who are active Twitter users. What percent of the American population is 68 million? 21%. The number of Americans who listen to podcasts is the same as the number who use Twitter.
2. Another connection. Whether you’re a business owner, a musician, or a professional video game player, there are people who would love to join your community. Let’s say you’re a YouTuber who puts out 3 videos a week. Your fans who watch your videos can only watch when they’re home at their computer. Two-thirds of podcasts are listened to on a smartphone or tablet. It’s another chance to reach your fans when they’re away from their desks. If you’re selling a product, it’s another chance to convince them to buy.
3. Industry authority. Let’s say there are two real estate offices in town. One of the offices posts a regular podcast and blog and the other does not. When looking to choose your real estate agent, you’re likely going to be skewed toward the office that publishes content because it gives off the appearance that they know what they’re doing. Being the host of a podcast, and especially being a featured guest, let’s people know that you’re an expert in your field.
4. Increased exposure. In addition to letting everyone know that you’re an expert, pushing out a podcast or blog gives more people the opportunity to hear about you. If you’re a business owner trying to sell a service or product, having a good podcast that gets spread by people and promoted as a good show is free advertising.
5. Start a podcast for fun. Most importantly, podcasting is fun. Whether you’re the host, a guest, the editor, or all of the above. The entire process of making a podcast is enjoyable. Regardless of what the show is about, most of the time, someone working on a show is passionate about the topic. We all enjoy talking about our passions, now it’s time to get someone to listen.
If you would like to learn how to podcast, click here to receive our FREE podcasting guide.
To learn more about additional business solution products and helpful business information, join us!
If you were somewhat inspired by this post and know someone who could relate to or benefit from it, please share this either through social media or by forwarding.